Monday, March 7, 2011

Assignment 2: Product on location

How does that saying go? "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans."

I had planned to do a food shoot in Wellington city during my vacation in New Zealand. I knew I would be able to hire equipment and there are loads of cafés and restaurants in Wellington.

As often happens on vacations, our plans changed completely. In the end, I wasn't going to be in Wellington until three days before I was to come back to Montreal, and it was going to make my assignment too late.

Most of my time in New Zealand has been spent in places either without internet at all, or in places where the wireless was too slow to upload images.

So I decided to try and go ahead and do a food shoot "on location" -- without lights, but using only the available light and whatever else was available.

LightingSetup

I shot a digital polaroid to get my crop:

digital

I had a few problems.

I ordered a seafood pizza from the owners of the place we were staying at, and the sun promptly went behind clouds. It made my shot look totally flat, so I decided to wait till the sun came out again. Not only did the pizza start to look pretty tired, but I had a few persistent guests:

wasp

I also wanted to try and fill in the hard shadows on the table created by the plate and wine glasses, so I used what was to hand: a steel garden chair. I had a couple of assistants to help with the "reflector" and the wasps. They did get rewarded at the end, though:

manue_assistants

Finally, I shot in full sunlight at 1/6400 sec at f/3.2, with an ISO of 125, and a focal length of 27 (using a 24mm-70mm lens). Obviously I didn't have a polarizing filter, so I definitely have the greasy pizza look, but it was the best I could come up with, with the resources I had.

Assignment2_KirstenCameron

No comments:

Post a Comment