Monday, March 28, 2011

Assignment 3: Environmental Portrait Outdoors - Prelight

LightingSetup

I chose two images as a basis to think about what lighting I would use on the location shoot:

b+w_blog

I had initially planned to use a male model, but this didn't pan out, so I used the above images just as a starting point, because I realized I would want my light to be softer for a female model.

I arrived at the location mid-to-late afternoon and tried to get an idea of what crop I would want for my image.

I shot a number of different spots on the location itself: with the river in the background; with the graffiti wall as background; with the perspective of the footbridge in the background. The one I found the most interesting was with the overpass structures as a backdrop:

day_blog

Even though we were losing the light, I continued to shoot and experiment. We were shooting in the twilight and I felt the shot with the overpasses as background was suddenly much more interesting. When I got home, I played around a little in Lightroom, and when I switched the image to black and white (pumping up the orange channel), I felt I was on to something that I would like to shoot for the final:

_MG_0578_copy

On the actual day of the shoot, I plan to bring:

• 1 speedlight
• 1 stand
• 1 softbox
• 1 umbrella
• 1 reflector
• 1 tripod
• 1 orange gel
• 1 sync cord
• 1 umbrella mount
• Sandbags

No comments:

Post a Comment